Wednesday, April 22, 2015
It is the Tangle Teaser and it is amazing for detangling wet hair. I used to dread coming my wet hair. It's thick and curly and long and loves being tangled. I used to brush my hair before washing it, at it would still be full of knots when I combed it out. Someone even commented once that watching me detangle my hair was like watching a horror movie.
Not anymore! Now, I don't have to brush my hair before I shower and detangling is totally painless. I actually use this in the shower about halfway through rinsing out my conditioner. I tried doing the same with a wide-toothed comb and it was still pretty painful.
These things come in different colors and sizes. I got mine at Target but you can find them online and at Sally's Beauty Supply I think.
Tuesday, April 21, 2015
As a healthy person I will:
- do whatever it takes to heal my back - PT, chiropractic, acupuncture
- ditto for allergies/asthma
- walk the dogs daily
- wear my Fitbit daily (if I don't keep running it through the washing machine)
- meditate 4 days a week
- be kinder to myself.
- paint the fence
- have a better garden than last year, utilizing at least 2 beds
- remodel the master bathroom (Casey - I'm looking at you)
- repair/replace the trim on the house
- replace the window screens.
- finish knitting/crocheting the scarves I intended to make for people
- take some pictures
- travel to Minneapolis with Casey (DONE), Las Vegas with Marcia (WE LEAVE FRIDAY), Washington D.C. and Virginia Beach with family (BOOKED), Orlando for a conference and hopefully somewhere with Candace
- sew at least the items that are in the "repair" pile
- can tomatoes from our garden
- practice piano 3x/week
- practice Italian daily
- code an app. We're working with the Tech Journey kids on this; I should understand it better myself
- give Casey two 20-second hugs daily (It releases oxytocin!)
- cook with Casey weekly
- tell Casey when he does something awesome (daily)
- think of things we can do outside the house. We're in a bit of rut due to awesome TV and terrible everything else.
- carpool with Casey once in awhile.
- teach Caelen how to do more things around the house
- host one sleepover
- volunteer for Hyperstream at Stilwell and force Caelen to participate
- implement Sunday Funday (DONE)
- implement 20-second dance parties
- have a date just the two of us.
- get together monthly with Karen and Dani
- walk with Sarah when we can
- visit Cedar Falls once (and my family there)
- Skype with my parents
- Do something quarterly with my friends not called out here.
- submit a proposal to speak at an Agile or QA conference (DONE - I submitted two and got accepted at one. More on that later.)
- Attend an Agile conference
- Read 2 books from my business books stack ( I generally start about 15 a year and never finish them. I have book ADHD.)
- Automate all the things!
- Present at DAQAA and help come up with good programming
- Teach/Mentor/Lead - nothing specific, just approach everything this way.
Monday, April 20, 2015
A trip the emergency vet, xrays, several hundred dollars and two prescriptions later, we're still not really sure what caused the injury. Could be a re-injury to her ACL. Could be a bulging disc. Could be something else.
We have to keep her as still as possible for a week and have her re-checked.
She already seems to be feeling better and can limp around a bit. Must be some good drugs involved.
Mimi is so stoic; she hasn't whined or whimpered. She just looks at us with her soulful, trusting brown eyes (somewhat glassy from medication) and accepts the situation for what it is.
Everything I need to know I learned from this dog.
Saturday, April 18, 2015
I walked with Sarah this morning. She pointed out to me that we've done this off and on for the last 6 or 7 years. Sometimes we walk at Raccoon River Park. Sometimes we walk at the mall. Our pace and fine levels fluctuate but the walk is basically therapy. We get a workout and check in with each other and ourselves. I guess that's why it's the only workout I'm even somewhat consistent with.
Saturday, April 04, 2015
I started water aerobics today. First time back in the gym since before Christmas. Of course immediately after Christmas I found out I have a bulging disk, so that derailed any gym momentum I had before that. Now that I finished 2 months of physical therapy and a third on the sofa (feels like) it seems like a good time to do something. I certainly don't see any power lifting in my future. Water aerobics it is. Maybe some yoga at some point.
I realize that it beats the alternative but aging seriously blows.
Thursday, February 26, 2015
Monday, February 23, 2015
Saturday - Casey worked and ran errands while Caelen and I did chores. Then we went to Bambino's for supper since I just cannot get enough of anything vaguely Italian (tonight I yelled at Starbuck in Italian) and watched Iron Man 3 before Casey and I watched more Dexter.
Sunday - I had coffee with Dani and Karen while Casey went to the gym and Caelen had some TV/video game time. Then we went to The Old School Arcade, which was so much fun. Will definitely return. We finished off with a stop at the mall for Blizzards and Strawberry Julius, and made Caelen try on dress shirts at Von Maur.
Absolutely did not accomplish anything on my To Do list. But had an awesome weekend nonetheless.