Saturday, May 09, 2015
I own several awesome yoga DVDs, but they're WAAAAAY above my current abilities. Fortunately, I found doyogawithme. The site has lots of free videos of various levels and lengths. The site relies on users to pay what they can in an effort to make yoga available to the masses. Kinda nice. Kinda stupid business model. Whatever. Yoga.
Soon, the pool will open again for current walking and I can do that. And I'm going to have my bike tuned up as well. Look at me go!
Friday, May 08, 2015
Friday, May 01, 2015
Yes, I'm doing these again. Again. I seriously need to drop a few pounds. I'm hoping it will alleviate some back pain and make breathing easier.
Anyway, I was down 3 last week and 2.6 this week, simply by eating clean most days and catching up on sleep. (Note that I was on prednisone the whole time too.) I even had a few cocktails and some splurge meals in Las Vegas. I think sleep is the bigger factor. I usually average about 6 hours of sleep a night. This week I forced myself to be in bed by 8:30pm three nights in a row. I feel like it reset me or something. I don't think I'll be able to do that all the time; stuff needs to get done. But it certainly something worth trying more often.
Wednesday, April 22, 2015
It is the Tangle Teaser and it is amazing for detangling wet hair. I used to dread coming my wet hair. It's thick and curly and long and loves being tangled. I used to brush my hair before washing it, at it would still be full of knots when I combed it out. Someone even commented once that watching me detangle my hair was like watching a horror movie.
Not anymore! Now, I don't have to brush my hair before I shower and detangling is totally painless. I actually use this in the shower about halfway through rinsing out my conditioner. I tried doing the same with a wide-toothed comb and it was still pretty painful.
These things come in different colors and sizes. I got mine at Target but you can find them online and at Sally's Beauty Supply I think.
Tuesday, April 21, 2015
As a healthy person I will:
- do whatever it takes to heal my back - PT, chiropractic, acupuncture
- ditto for allergies/asthma
- walk the dogs daily
- wear my Fitbit daily (if I don't keep running it through the washing machine)
- meditate 4 days a week
- be kinder to myself.
- paint the fence
- have a better garden than last year, utilizing at least 2 beds
- remodel the master bathroom (Casey - I'm looking at you)
- repair/replace the trim on the house
- replace the window screens.
- finish knitting/crocheting the scarves I intended to make for people
- take some pictures
- travel to Minneapolis with Casey (DONE), Las Vegas with Marcia (WE LEAVE FRIDAY), Washington D.C. and Virginia Beach with family (BOOKED), Orlando for a conference and hopefully somewhere with Candace
- sew at least the items that are in the "repair" pile
- can tomatoes from our garden
- practice piano 3x/week
- practice Italian daily
- code an app. We're working with the Tech Journey kids on this; I should understand it better myself
- give Casey two 20-second hugs daily (It releases oxytocin!)
- cook with Casey weekly
- tell Casey when he does something awesome (daily)
- think of things we can do outside the house. We're in a bit of rut due to awesome TV and terrible everything else.
- carpool with Casey once in awhile.
- teach Caelen how to do more things around the house
- host one sleepover
- volunteer for Hyperstream at Stilwell and force Caelen to participate
- implement Sunday Funday (DONE)
- implement 20-second dance parties
- have a date just the two of us.
- get together monthly with Karen and Dani
- walk with Sarah when we can
- visit Cedar Falls once (and my family there)
- Skype with my parents
- Do something quarterly with my friends not called out here.
- submit a proposal to speak at an Agile or QA conference (DONE - I submitted two and got accepted at one. More on that later.)
- Attend an Agile conference
- Read 2 books from my business books stack ( I generally start about 15 a year and never finish them. I have book ADHD.)
- Automate all the things!
- Present at DAQAA and help come up with good programming
- Teach/Mentor/Lead - nothing specific, just approach everything this way.
Monday, April 20, 2015
A trip the emergency vet, xrays, several hundred dollars and two prescriptions later, we're still not really sure what caused the injury. Could be a re-injury to her ACL. Could be a bulging disc. Could be something else.
We have to keep her as still as possible for a week and have her re-checked.
She already seems to be feeling better and can limp around a bit. Must be some good drugs involved.
Mimi is so stoic; she hasn't whined or whimpered. She just looks at us with her soulful, trusting brown eyes (somewhat glassy from medication) and accepts the situation for what it is.
Everything I need to know I learned from this dog.
Saturday, April 18, 2015
I walked with Sarah this morning. She pointed out to me that we've done this off and on for the last 6 or 7 years. Sometimes we walk at Raccoon River Park. Sometimes we walk at the mall. Our pace and fine levels fluctuate but the walk is basically therapy. We get a workout and check in with each other and ourselves. I guess that's why it's the only workout I'm even somewhat consistent with.